[DeTomaso] Shifter alignment question.

Bill Bitner wjbitner at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 22:23:50 EDT 2013

Hi!

I just put 5171 back together today.   I used
to drive it without the shift gate, but a few accidental
shifts from first to fourth (@ WOT) have convinced
me to try the shift gate once again.   Has anyone translated
what a one spline difference is in terms of inches
at the shifter relative to the gate?  It seems I'm just
a little off because I can't always get it in 2nd from
first.   I can also get 2nd in the 4th position, but only
from first gear.  It drops into 4th just fine from
3rd.   Reverse is also fine.   It seems like 1 spine is
just a little too much (or maybe I missed a spline?).
Does moving the trunion bearing height change this at all
or is the adjustment's function just to get the shifter rod
out of the way of other items, like the u-joints and such?
Asked another way, how would
I move the shifter's position about 1/8" to the left or right?

Thanks,

Bill Bitner