[DeTomaso] Remove small grills on hood

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 12:14:21 EDT 2013

In a message dated 7/8/13 6 52 13, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> I believe Kirk Evens mentioned that he uses something other than the OEM
> plastic when he re-mounts the grills. You might give him a call.
>
> Bud #3400 ( Drive it like there is no tomorrow -- for there may not be ! )
>

>>>That was me.   I actually found and supply the bits to Kirk Evans.

Go to your local Ace hardware store (or any store that carries Serv-A-Lite
products).   In the rubber grommets section, they carry a little animal with
part number RG-XD.

Here is a link showing a photo, as well as the info in the display which
describes its characteristics and part number etc.

In practice, they work extremely well.   You have to remove the old plastic
clips from the body first, which are now hard and brittle, so you break
them into pieces to remove them.   These little guys then get pushed into place
(there are eight pins on each side).   Spray a little silicone lube on the
grommets, line up the grille, gently push down, and FOOMP!   It gets sucked
into position.   It is very secure, yet it will pop out with appropriate
force without risking any damage to the fragile pins.