[DeTomaso] threads on Tool Rolls and on Inflatable Spares

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 03:00:32 EDT 2013

I wrote some of it so I'll recap what I think I know about the OEM spares.
They were made by BFG and the first series, issued thru at least late '72
(our Sept 72 car had one) were all recalled for sidewall cracking -used or
unused. They were all mounted on 14"x 6" steel Ford wheels that cleared stock
brakes but really needed 5 extra open-end lug nuts. I used mine once to get
home with a cracked rear Campy and ruined an LSD in 50 mles @ 45-50 mph,
since the inflated OD was less than the opposite rear tire OD, so the LSD was
slipping the whole time.
The replacement BFG tire from the recall looked a little different- more
rounded- and those tires have lasted nicely for 25 years although I'll never
use one again. You can also find them in wrecking yards in 14", 15" and 16"
diameters. Contrary to what tire guys might say, they CAN be dismounted and
remounted- you just have to know what you're doing. Most can only operate
their automatic tire machines which do NOT work on inflateable spares.
THe final bit is about aftermarket inflater cans. After 42 years I doubt if
there's a stock inflater can around that still has a molecule of propellant
in it. Two types: one is clearly labelled 'DANGER- EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!
Those use PROPANE as the inflating gas and can 'cook-off' or explode in the
front or rear trunk while driving. I've been on runs in which this happened.
They are bombs that can and have bent bodywork. Inexplicably, I think they are
still for sale in CA, in spite of numerous explosions and at least one
death.
The other (OEM) type uses an innocuous gas like freon as the inflating
medium. Both types need an inflation nozzle to interface between the can and a
flat tire's valve stem; the cans alone can do nothing. Lots of inflation cans
around; few adapter nozzles.    FWIW- J Deryke