[DeTomaso] Cam selection for 383 stroker

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 11:22:43 EDT 2013

> Looks like the CHI are 2.07" intake and 1.61" exhaust

As luck would have it, an engine builder I know recently built a
Cleveland with the 208cc heads.  They use 2.07"/1.65" diameter
intake/exhaust valves.

> CHI dual plane air gap 4150 manifold

Interesting.  The CHI website only lists a single plane intake for the
208cc 3V heads.  Those have a unique port (designed by Dave Storlien
for his EMC entry, they have the tallest of the CHI ports).  In the
past, CHI has provided spacer plates so that 351C-2V intakes (like the
Edelbrock Air Gap 2V) could be used.  Then they used Scott Cook's
(non-air gap) dual plane but, AFAIK, Scott no longer provides intakes
to CHI.  Your invoice lists a dual plane part number so this may be a
new intake option.  When your intake arrives, if you could snap and
forward a few pictures, I'd appreciate it.  For now, I'll use the
dimensions for an Edelbrock Air Gap dual plane intake.

> Steel billet flywheel 157 tooth

The Pantera bellhousing and 351C block plate are designed for 164
teeth flywheels.  I've used a SBF block plate on a Cleveland and ran
157 teeth flywheels before but there are starter clearance issues with
the stock starter.  You can roll the lip of the oil pan for clearance
or use a mini starter.

> I also have a 180 degree exhaust by the Buyers brothers.

I will need the dimensions (primary length and diameter, collector
length and diameter) for these.  I have some dimensions for similar
headers I can use, for now.

> Ferrea 6000 swirl polished valves and hydraulic roller springs

I will need to know the seat and open spring loads, along with the
safe lift limit of the springs.

Dan Jones