[DeTomaso] problem with starter and now ignition switch

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Jul 3 20:23:41 EDT 2013

Boyd,

IF you are sure your battery is fully charged and healthy, then yes, I'd suspect your ignition switch has problems in the electrical portion.

The electrical portion of the ignition switch is a separate, replaceable part. Can be replaced with everything still mounted to the steering column. You will need to remove the two halves of the plastic switch surround, though.

After forty years, the old electrical grease can get gummy and lose good electrical contact. There are two articles at www.panteraplace related to repairing this. Go to 'technical information', 'electrical' and there they are.

If you decide this is the issue, and rebuilding is not successful, I do have some NOS electrical portions for sale.

Contact me off list if you need to go that route.

Larry