[DeTomaso] Rim Offsets

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Wed Jul 3 09:58:20 EDT 2013

Thank you all for your quick responses!

My new car comes with a set of early Coddingtons - which I gather are good
rims for the car if one wants to drive it hard on a track.  But, that is not
my goal.  As I think I mentioned in previous posts I have put 130,000 miles
on a Jag XKE.  Originally the XKE came with 185/70 15's.  Today it rides on
205/65 15's - pretty much the same height as the originals, so pretty much
the same, or even better ride, with the more flexible sidewalls in current
radials.  I did upgrade the rims to gain 1 inch width and went with
stainless spokes.  The car rides like a dream.

My goal is to drive 5332 on trips, explore country with it.  Perhaps not
like I have done with my XKE - not sure I would even take it again over some
of the jeep roads it did years ago when exploring Colorado, but I want to
put miles on it, enjoying driving it.

I was talking to a friend yesterday, he has a variety of cars, think Aston
Martin, GT40, that sort of thing.  He also has an XKE that he modified much
like I have modified mine, with a focus on reliability and ride.  He is
continually blown away by how well it rides on 205/65 15's when compared to
his other, much more expensive rides.

I've test driven 5 Panteras so far, and know I will not be keeping the
Coddingtons on the car for most of its miles.  Heck, they are easy to put
back on for shows, but I am looking at putting tires under it that will not
unduly flex the frame from excessive loadings on corners, or overstrain the
original brakes, or shake me to death on roads that are less than perfect.
And, if the rear tires spin on take off - heck, that is part of the fun.  Of
course, if I wanted to have serious power I would have bought a different
car - like the one up in Seattle with a Windsor crate engine.  It spun its
wide tires with no problem.  And heck, you didn't even need your hands on
the wheel - it would follow any groove in the pavement with no help from the
driver!  OK - that is a scary thing on a badly dished road.

Long e-mail, but, bottom line, I am looking to go back to the original
width, or even (gasp) 7 inch rims front and rear.  With this in mind, any
suggestions will be appreciated on the options that are out there.

Stephen Nelson