[DeTomaso] World's first aftermarket Cleveland engine in production

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:21:03 EDT 2013

So, give or take about 140 lbs less weight.
Assuming a 3100 wet weight with 500 hp, that equals 6.2 lbs per hp vs 5.92
lbs per hp for $4,000.
For racing purposes, I totally get it, losing 140 lbs for around $28 a
pound is a bargain. For street and ocassional track day use, IMHO, only if
you want the cool factor and have to buy a block anyway because of damage.
OR
you could spend way less than $4,000 and build in an additional 25 hp and
be at the same place in the power/weight ratio.

Michael Shortt

> From what I can find on the net (www.network54.com) MME is using
Buttermore
> blocks. It appears they are collaborating on the project.

They are not collaborating.  Each is pursuing their own aftermarket 351C
blocks.
Originally, Todd Buttermore sent his prototype block to MME for machining,
build
up and evaluation.  Mark also convinced Todd to machine the block undersize
in
certain areas so it could be finish machined by the builder.  At that time,
Todd
suggested that those in the pilot run of blocks send them to MME for
final machining.
Later, MME announced they were developing their own block.  Todd then
accused MME
of using his (Todd's) design as a basis for MME's block.  I have no
idea if that's
true but, given the timing, it is entirely plausible.

> Given that a standard 351 Cleveland weighs about 540-550lbs.  How much
> weight is saved with an AL block?

I have an aluminum Fontana block that weighed in at 116 lbs.  I've weighed
a standard iron 351C block at 172 lbs (Ford literature claims 165.5 lbs) on
a bathroom scale.  My XE block was about 10 lbs heavier.  I have an old
Super
Ford magazine article that claims 404 lbs for an assembled Pantera engine
that
had aluminum Fontana block, aluminum Ford Motorsport high port heads and
intake,
aluminum waterpump, aluminum flywheel, and a mini-starter.

Dan Jones