[DeTomaso] World's first aftermarket Cleveland engine in production

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:00:55 EDT 2013

> From what I can find on the net (www.network54.com) MME is using Buttermore
> blocks. It appears they are collaborating on the project.

They are not collaborating.  Each is pursuing their own aftermarket 351C blocks.
Originally, Todd Buttermore sent his prototype block to MME for machining, build
up and evaluation.  Mark also convinced Todd to machine the block undersize in
certain areas so it could be finish machined by the builder.  At that time, Todd
suggested that those in the pilot run of blocks send them to MME for
final machining.
Later, MME announced they were developing their own block.  Todd then
accused MME
of using his (Todd's) design as a basis for MME's block.  I have no
idea if that's
true but, given the timing, it is entirely plausible.

> Given that a standard 351 Cleveland weighs about 540-550lbs.  How much
> weight is saved with an AL block?

I have an aluminum Fontana block that weighed in at 116 lbs.  I've weighed
a standard iron 351C block at 172 lbs (Ford literature claims 165.5 lbs) on
a bathroom scale.  My XE block was about 10 lbs heavier.  I have an old Super
Ford magazine article that claims 404 lbs for an assembled Pantera engine that
had aluminum Fontana block, aluminum Ford Motorsport high port heads and intake,
aluminum waterpump, aluminum flywheel, and a mini-starter.

Dan Jones