[DeTomaso] Batteries & Modules

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Mon Jul 1 21:58:50 EDT 2013

Are you connecting the charger with the correct polarity? If you connect
it wrong, the diodes in the alternator will cause it to short.

Disconnect the battery from the car and verify polarity. Then start out
on 2A for a few hours.

Someone (not me) had left the key in ACC on an old G20 I had, which left
the fan running on low. He called me and said the charger would trip
when they connected it. I suspected a bad alternator and told him to
disconnect the battery from the car, and he verified that it would then
charge properly.

They disconnected the alt and tried to start the car after the battery
had charged fully, and it turned over good, but would not start.

I brought a new alt and ignition module, and when I checked it out, they
had connected the charger the wrong way, so the battery was charged the
wrong way.

In order to switch it back, I turned on everything I could to drain the
battery again, and when it was flat I connected the charger correctly,
but had to run it on the 6V setting for a while, otherwise the charger
would trip. The battery charged correctly, and I could then connect the
alt again. I had to replace the HEI ignition module, but that was the
only thing that was broken.

The battery worked fine for years, until I eventually sold the car.

Good luck,
Thomas