[DeTomaso] Cain (AussieSpeed) Cleveland IDF Manifold

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 16:55:43 EST 2013

I managed to get enough vacuum from one leg of an IDA intake to actuate a
distributor vacuum advance. First, I used an 0.060" orifice on a hose bib
into only one leg of the intake. I tried ganging taps into many intake legs but
the vacuum from one seemed to cancel the next, giving a net of zero. Then
(this is critical) i used a 14" long rubber hose to run from the intake to
the distributor. The rubber seemed to eliminate most of the wild intake
pulsations between -20" vac and zero (or maybe a little positive), allowing me to
use a vacuum advance.
It didn't work when I used metal tubing, braided steel line or left off the
sized orifice, and the length of rubber windshield-wiper hose might be
critical, too- I didn't experiment once I got something that worked. Looked kind
of odd- the fancy nickel-plated ram-tubes & Webers and all-Aeroquip
plumbing on & around the motor & brakes, except for that one scabby rubber line.
But I ran that engine successfully on the street for years with IDAs and
vacuum advance. FWIW- J Deryke.