[DeTomaso] Spring rates

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Thu Jan 24 10:41:55 EST 2013

Dear Dick,

              Well, I can start that discussion with the anecdotal case
report.

              Pantera 1 has the beefier steel "spreader" bar and an
auxiliary smaller brace below and behind it over the ZF.  It also has
the "lesser" springs + Konis.  The springs are, IIRC,  about 375/ 500
(I think).

              Pantera 2 has the stock "spreader" bar and no auxiliary
bracing.  It has the "heavier" springs + Konis.   Springs are, IIRC,
425/ 600.

              Please note that both Panteras are late '74s.  VINs are
very close: 7171 and 7191.  In my opinion neither have any rust issues
nor evidence of previous collisions. Pantera 1 was repainted once about
10 years ago.  Pantera 2 was originally orange, then silver and in 1988,
finally, yellow.   Both Panteras are shod with the same size 17 inch
wheels and tires.
Oh, and Pantera 1 has the 485 hp engine, while Pantera 2 has the 385 HP
engine.

              Guess which car has more paint cracking?   Pantera 2 with
less bracing and more spring rate and less torque---and more repaints.
I am suspicious that the difference is the bracing.   Finally, I can't
tell any difference in their ride and handling, both are perfectly fine
by my seat-of-the-pants-o-meter.

                            Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles