[DeTomaso] Spring rates

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 20:31:20 EST 2013

Dear Bill,

           You wrote:

"I am quite amazed at the spring rates being used  on cars which are
reported to be very nice riding on the  street.

 BTW, my  car, with 200/350 springs rides like a heavy duty truck."

        You've hit upon a Pantera phenomenon, I think.   When I changed my
first Pantera from stock to heavier springs, I thought I would be cautious
and scale it back a bit from the recommendations of PPC.  After the Konis
and springs, it felt like a new car. The ride was fine, but pleasantly
firmer than stock.

        Then several years later, I changed the suspension on my second
Pantera.  I was confident enough to go a bit higher than the recommendations
of PPC.  After the new Konis and springs, the second Pantera rode and
handled as well as the first one.   I much prefer the suspension upgrade to
the stock suspension.

       It is interesting that a large number of Pantera owners find no
detriment to the ride comfort with multiples of stock spring rates.  I don't
think that we're all deluding ourselves.  I would say the phenomenon is
there.  I *think* that it is there due some excellent design characteristics
of the suspension which obviously tolerates a wide range of higher spring
rates without a wide range of unhappy owners and drivers.  FWIW.

              Warmest regards, Chuck Engles