[DeTomaso] Spring rates

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 01:43:24 EST 2013

FWIW,

I am quite amazed at the spring rates being used  on cars which are reported
to be very nice riding on the  street.

Here are the spring rates actually measured on  my '74 SN6338  at 29,000
miles using an hydraulic  press
and a calibrated electronic corner  scale.

Rear OEM Springs: Free length: 13 in.; Rate 350  lbs/in.
Installed length:10 13/16ths in; # coils 9+2  ends; Coil OD:4 3/8 in.; Wire
dia:0 589  in.

Front OEM Springs: Rate =220 lbs/in; Coils - 7 +  2 ends; Wire Dia. - 0.5
in. Mean coil dia. = 3.875 in (sorry  but
I can't find the spring lengths at the  moment)

I used an online spring rate calculator to check these spring rate  numbers
based on the physical dimensions of the springs
and the rates are spot on.

I have  been told that a Pantera with 550-700 springs will have a
suspension  frequency of 2,3 Hz both front and rear.
A  modern F-1 car has a suspension frequency around 1,6 - 1,8 Hz ........
basically no suspension.

BTW, my  car, with 200/350 springs rides like a heavy duty truck.

Has anyone else measured their OEM springs?

The main  thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

Do the best you can with  what you have where you are.

Have fun today,

sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 1/22/2013 9:05:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
don.thomas.ieee at gmail.com writes:

> What are the Stock Spring Rates ?
>
>  Thanks,
-dt