[DeTomaso] Speedhut versus Autometer gauges help

Denny Morse denman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 16:10:20 EST 2013

Hi Gary,

This is correct. It's now possible achieve 2--4 inch pass-by-pass accuracy
through a field (repeatable). And all using commercially available GPS
receivers. However, the cost is in the engineering that goes into the
auto-steer control system, touch panel display, and the software to process
GPS signals from multiple antennas to also provide orientation (i.e. roll,
pitch, and yaw). The cost of the GPS unit is not what drives up the cost. I
used to consulted for Norvariant from 1996 until 2004 (formally
IntegriNautics) and went to school with the founders while at Stanford.

  http://www.gpsfarm.com/Products/OnTrac2/tabid/112/Default.aspx
  http://www.gpsfarm.com/Technology/PrecisionPosition/tabid/169/Default.aspx

http://www.gpsfarm.com/Technology/AdvancedControlSystem/tabid/170/Default.aspx
  http://www.gpsfarm.com/About/tabid/60/Default.aspx

The current company is focused entirely on GPS farming and has removed
almost all reference to the original company named IntegriNautics from
their website. IntegriNautics patented the idea of using multiple antennas
and calculating the phase angle of the two RF carrier frequencies (L1 and
L2) for GPS as the signal passes over each antenna. With this technology
they were able to achieve real-time centimeter-level accuracy plus
orientation to a fraction of a degree by determining the position of
multiple antennas. Here's the key patent describing this.

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/Multiple-antenna-multi-frequency-measurement/WO2003044556.html

It is called Carrier-Phase Differential GPS. This was used in aircraft in
the 1990s for auto-landing tests, including over 100 hands-free landings of
a United 737. Note, this was before the government stopped degrading the
accuracy of the civilian GPS signal. Searching the Internet about all I can
find about this is on the website for the Gravity Probe-B NASA mission to
test Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

  http://einstein.stanford.edu/highlights/hl_033106.html

Search for Clark Cohen in this page and you can read the early history of
the development of this technology. It was used on the the Gravity Probe
spacecraft mission in a polar orbit 400 miles above the earth. Clark's
Ph.D. thesis is
here<http://waas.stanford.edu/~wwu/papers/gps/PDF/Thesis/ClarkCohenThesis92.pdf>.
As an aside, the science gyros on-board Gravity Probe-B are the roundest
man-made objects ever and are a million times more accurate than the best
we have, which are those on the Hubble space telescope or possibly those on
our nuclear powered subs. I consulted for Gravity Probe-B for 10 years and
it was one of the most amazing projects I've worked on.

As others have said there is no speed limitation on receivers using the
civilian channel of the GPS signal. Now days the accuracy of the civilian
and military signals are the same. However the military signal is broadcast
on two carrier frequencies, which can be used to reduce the errors
introduced by the ionosphere.

  http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

It's used for aircraft and spacecraft all the time. The primary things that
affect the accuracy of a GPS based speedometer are the view of the sky for
satellites, multi-path signals from bouncing off things like buildings in a
city or canyon walls, location of the antenna, the number of channels in
the GPS receiver, and the sample rate of the GPS position by the
speedometer. Assuming good visibility of the sky and minimal multi-path,
the sample rate of the signal will have the largest impact on accuracy and
lag in the display. If the speedometer is only sampling every few seconds
the speed measurement will lag quite a bit. There will be some low-pass
filtering of the difference in the position measurements in order to keep
the reading from jumping back and forth due to the errors in the GPS
position measurement, which can be as much as +-10 feet without some type
of differential reference signal. So I would expect a good speedometer to
be sampling at least 1 times per second, which is the rate that nearly all
smartphones can do. Faster sampling is better, so 5 to 10 times per second
would be better. I've read some rumors that some of the new smartphones
coming out will support 5 Hz GPS sampling.

However, with additional sensors this could be improved quite a bit. All
modern smartphones have accelerometers built into them. So if you are
driving down a smooth flat road at a constant speed the accelerometers will
show no change even though the GPS position may say that you jumped 1 foot
to the right between the last measurement and this one. The accelerometer
data can smooth all of this out. And if you are turning or accelerating the
accelerometers will also tell you that. Not only that, the accelerometer
data can carry you through a brief loss of GPS signal. So a great GPS
speedometer would have a fast sample rate of the GPS signal as well as
accelerometers.

Cheers,

Denny
----