[DeTomaso] Speedhut versus Autometer gauges help

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Fri Jan 18 14:30:31 EST 2013

Boyd I think you have some incorrect information.

First, I don't believe the error built into the civilian GPS will float
enough over time to be an issue. We receive the same GPS in airplanes. We
can shoot approaches with non corrected GPS. It is still pretty accurate.
The information does not vary enough or fast enough to change any of the
parameters we are navigating. While the accuracy is lower, it is not
moving around enough to effect things like speed. It is more that your
destination may be 15 foot to the right of where it shows on the GPS.

We can shoot precision GPS approaches with what is called Wide
Augmentation.  Wide Augmentation is basically a ground station that says,
ok the GPS says I am here, but I am really here. Adjust your GPS to make
these changes. It is all done internally.

The government holds the key to change the accuracy at any point. If our
country is of threat you may even see our GPS made unavailable to the
public. It is a difficult thought realizing how many things rely on it.

As far as speed limitation, that is simply not true.

I think the biggest limitation to accuracy, as was posted, is interment
ant contact. I also think antenna location in the car would be crucial to
reliability.

Here is something else. Some truck drivers are using GPS scramblers so
their companies cannot track their position. It has in some cases
interfered with aircraft approaches and is becoming a problem. If you find
yourself on a highway and you lose signal look at the trucks around you.