[DeTomaso] Wiring harness for 72 pantera

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:28:29 EST 2013

By the way, you do not need to cut the wires to get them out.

The outer cover on mine was very hard.  I had to split it to make it
pliable enough to remove the wires - just for the front of the car.  But I
was going to do that anyway.

If you have a shell, you can probably remove the harness without splitting
it.

The wires going through the passengers sill were very easy to remove (for
me).

Reinstallation was easy too, but you need to thread a "cable pull" first.
I used a thick wire for the pull, pushed it through the door jamb/sill,
and then taped the harness to the other end.  It took about 15 minutes to
get it where I wanted it.

Changes I made:

1.  Jon Haas fuse box, window/headlight controller, ignition switch
bypass, radiator fan controller.
2.  Removed seatbelt buzzer wiring
3.  Moved battery to the engine compartment (which cleans up the front
trunk, but it also avoids a lot of wiring)
4.  Removed starter relay - using mini starter, which has a relay built in.
5.  Modern alternator, so no external voltage regulator, and I removed
that wiring.
6.  Thomas Tornblom fuel gauge linearizer
7.  Hidden wires in the rear - routed through the wheel well instead of
the engine compartment.
8.  I ran the fuel tank wires through the driver's sill, so there is no
need for wires on the firewall above the distributor.
9.  Space City Pantera LED upgrade
10.  CIBIE headlights - recommended by Mike Drew - I like the frog eye
look.
11.  Autometer electronic speedo - so there are wires from the ZF instead
of a cable.
12.  Wires that had issues were replaced with new wires of the correct
color.
13.  Checked the ground under the dash.  I did not do a second ground, but
I guess I could have.
14.  I installed 2 lugs on the firewall for switched and unswitched power.
15.  I welded a bolt to the frame near the passenger's motor mount.  I am
using that as an engine ground instead of the one on the rear of the ZF.
I did that to clean up the engine compartment.
16.  I plan on cleaning up the gauge wiring, but I have deferred that
until after I have my car on the road.
17.  I plan on installing a stereo, but it won't be traditional.  I am
leaning towards an iPod/iPhone jack straight into an amplifier.  I never
listen to radio anyway, so I don't need a "normal" radio head.  The wiring
will be in the console, with a jack near the back (closest to the engine).
 I'm going to build a cover to hide it all.

I think that's it, but I know as soon as I hit <send>, I'll think of
something else.