[DeTomaso] Ethanol "enriched" (diluted) fuel - performance?

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:00:44 EST 2013

Though the specific output of Ethanol is lower than gasoline you can
get more power because it is essentially running at 105 octane and
conditions inside the cylinder are favorable for the following to
happen without detonation:

12:1 compression or higher
Less compression bleed off needed from your camshaft
Higher timing advance is possible

The burn is so well controlled with Ethanol that even your 10.5
compression engine will run better with more ignition advance and make
more power with a leaner (closer to stoch) tune.  You don't have to
fatten it up as much to prevent detonation.

That going to use a lot of fuel, but the fuel you use will be quite
efficient and making big power.  On a race car, this can make a big
difference.

sean