[DeTomaso] Pantera window gaskets

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 15:22:18 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/13/13 7:12:42 PM, coreyjprice at gmail.com writes:

> A vendor said that the rubber windshield gasket I have will be a real
> pain to reinstall and look good.  The vendor said that the gasket has already
> taken a "set" and not want to seat properly.

Gonna try to do it yourself? A 40-year-old piece of rubber exposed to wind,
rain & sun may indeed have 'issues'. I reused our OEM gasket 20 yrs ago
(when it was 'only' 20 yrs old) and had no problem. It may be possible to
soften stiff rubber with racing tire softeners, if you don't like the price of a
new gasket.   Incidently, most replaced windshields WILL leak, unless you
lift the edge of the gasket and run a bead of windshield-specific RTV
underneath, ALL THE WAY AROUND INCLUDING THE TOP. Do this before adding the chrome
trim if you intend to reuse that, too.

If you pay someone to do it, you will have someone to yell at when, not if,
it leaks. Good luck- J Deryke