[DeTomaso] 351w or 351c

Ed Mendez edducati at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 14:40:13 EST 2013

Hi all,

My 71 Pantera has a built 351c in it now, I know the builder who did it and the previous owner (one of my best friends) so I know it is a well built engine and pretty radical, but it was done about 18 years ago and only broke in and started in the car but never driven; car has been in garage and off the road for 28 years. Also has a flat tapper cam. Neither of them can honestly remember what the internals or specs are, but knowing them it is as radical as you can get 18 years ago.

I am sure it's a great motor, but I have the chance right now to obtain a fully built 351w new Dart Sportsman block (4 bolt splayed mains) and Dart Pro 1 CNC aluminum heads, Dart manifold and stroked to 427ci all scat internals with h-beam rods and full hydraulic roller motor. 634hp. I have an engine credit at a well established engine shop, so not going to cost me anything.

My car is at a point that I can pull the motor now and do this.

So, should I pull the trigger on the Winsor or just stay with the Cleveland?

Does a Windsor decrease the value? Is it a good upgrade for value on the car?

Or the other option is pull the Cleveland stroke it to 408, aluminum heads and roll prize it.

If I do the Windsor should I keep or sell the Cleveland?

So just want to get opinions for you guys.

Thanks Ed

Sent from my iPad