[DeTomaso] engine rebuild or new

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 5 20:43:37 EST 2013

I am coming in late to this topic, but I can offer my experience:
I had a decent original cleveland block with 4 bolt mains.  I did a lot of research into how to make a good engine and went with a cleveland build.
1. had a local engine builder do the short block, 10 thousandth overbore (to preserve wall thickness), and used studs for the crank main bearing caps.  new pistons, original crank.
2. did a lot of reading on the old network 54 cleveland forum about oiling.  used moroso oil restrictors in the main to cam oil passages, but no limit to hyrdaulic lifters.
3. CHI 3V heads and intake (before there were all these other aluminum head options)
4. roller lifters and hydraulic roller cam and roller rockers
5. most parts bought through summit racing internet
I have a fantastic cleveland engine that makes great power and did not cost a fortune (although the bill will add up for any engine build) and I did it all myself except the short block.  fun, lots of learning, no disasters.
Look in Popular hot rodding engine masters competitions.  Over the past 10 years, lots of cleveland builds (cleveland intake and heads is still great).  I dont think any windsor builds.
to each his own, but I would do a cleveland rebuild again, now that so much great top end parts available.  i'll wait and put a windsor in my 69 mustang
justin