[DeTomaso] Mallory Hyfire 6AL

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 06:14:40 EST 2013

You should have a backup plan for when the Hyfire fails.

I had 2 fail, one on my 67 Mustang, luckily it didn't strand me.  I was
able to bypass it.  The other stranded my Pantera resulting in a 60 mile
flatbed ride home.  I could have bypassed it, but I was in denial so I
didn't check it.  Once I got the Pantera home, I bypassed it, and I was
motoring again.

I like the Hyfire.  That's why I tried it the 2nd time (in the Pantera).
I figured the first failure was my fault or the Mustang's fault.  After 2
dead Hyfires, I'm sure it was the Mallory.

I ran a Unilite with Pertronix for years and years with no issues.  I had
several optical triggers fail.  The Pertronix is a simple magnetic
trigger, it is cheaper than the Mallory optical replacement, and it is
pretty solid.

Sorry to rain on your parade.  I'm just not a fan of the Hyfire.  The
backup plan could be as simple as researching how to bypass the Hyfire.
That way you are prepared if you are stranded on the side of the road.