[DeTomaso] Engine rebuild or New

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 13:58:30 EST 2013

In a message dated 1/3/13 9 49 23, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> I think that is a good idea. It will probably be a Windsor, therefore you
> will have to change headers and mounts, maybe a few other items too. I
> rebilt my Cleveland to a 408 with iron 4v heads and had over 8G in it and I'm
> sure not making 535 hp.
>
>>>On the other hand, I (through Dan) rebuilt my Cleveland to a 408 with
aluminum CHI 4V heads, and by reusing existing components where it made sense
to do so, I had less than $7G in it, and while it made 'only' 539 hp or
something like that, this was done deliberately to increase the torque under the
curve at the expense of peak horsepower.   (You can't drive a dyno,
remember!)

Changing from a Cleveland to a Windsor is an expensive proposition when you
factor in all the extra stuff you need to buy, and from the way Dan
describes it, this Ford crate motor would be even more challenging than a regular
stroker Windsor crate motor.

I would carefully analyze your needs, desires, and budget, and then
probably conjure up a Cleveland-based engine that satisfies all three.