[DeTomaso] Air conditioner belt replacement

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:41:53 EST 2013

Wasn't there a trick to this part?

Like the nut on the back is not captured, so it makes it hard
to remove sometimes (hard to get to, or it turns)?  So the trick was to
tack-weld the nut?

Chuck

In a message dated 1/2/13 19 54 20, guido_detomaso at prodigy.net writes:

> Eventually removed
> the tensioning pulley altogether.  Didn't zing it or put it on eBay, it's
> just
> riding the pine for now.
>

>>>When you have the front end open, now would be a good time to
investigate the status of the bearing which is pressed into the idler
pulley.   You
don't want to have happen to you, what happened to me:

When the bearing came apart, it sounded just like an engine that had
completely fragged.   I had the car towed home, and was relieved to find the

problem was so minor.

The local machine shop destroyed my pulley trying to press out the remains
of the bearing.   No big loss; a replacement bearing for the stock pulley
cost almost exactly the same as a complete replacement pulley w/bearing.
The
replacement is slightly larger in diameter, no big deal.   I got it at
NAPA; brand is Duralast and part number is 231036.

No virus found in this message.