[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 104, Issue 26-Big Hp Motors

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 16:54:57 EST 2013

I wanted to chime in on the Stroker motors and streetability
My 302 stroked to 331 inches with 530 hp was very edgey on the street
and quite a handful... The Pantera 351 stroked to 411 inches is fairly edgey
but streetable.. just don't get ii in the wrong part of the cam at low
speeds or
the halfshafts my break... Now my 500 inch Pontiac with 775 hp and 640 lbs
of torque is fairly smooth crusing around... hit the gas a little and it
blows
the tires of the car.. it is a nice cruiser on the freeway with the 5 speed
now

Now gas mileage maybe 8 miles per gallon.. and warranty (Kirby wins by a
long
shot) I have had this motor in an out three times now and think it is
finally sorted
Just installed the new cage this weekend and she is ready for racing

I was telling my wife maybe I should just cruise around with it for a while
Her comment was Why did you spend all that time and Money if you are
not going to race it... Love her.. she said the same thing when I got the
Pantera
painted and was thinking of not running it in Vegas one year... she really
knows
I like them pretty but I still like to push them beyond their limits
I would really like to have the parts stay inside where they belong:)

My goal was to make my Firebird like my Pantera and with all the suspension,
brakes, cage and motor I think I finally have done it

Bob Benson