[DeTomaso] NPC: F14 F15 F16 Fighter Jet info.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 20:33:15 EST 2013

In a message dated 2/24/13 16 59 41, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> I am preparing for a film where the hero is an ex Fighter Pilot and has
> his
> marked up Flight helmet in his office.
>
>>>What kind of fighter pilot?   Navy or Air Force?   And what era would he
have been flying?   Makes a huge difference.

> >Does anybody here have any knowledge about these?
>
> Would a HGU 55 be correct?
>
>>>Depending on the vintage, perhaps the HGU-55/P would be correct?   Navy
guys wear (or wore) the HGU-33/P, as far as I know.

> >Visor color, any rules about markings, rank, etc. Or can we do anything
> we
> want, any requirements ( like name, id, blood type as found on racing
> helmets )
>
>>>I don't think Air Force fighter pilots typically mark their helmets with
anything--I know we didn't when I wore one in pilot training, which
admittedly was 23 years ago.   However, it is common to have a unit insignia
embroidered on the visor cover, which is secured with Velcro to the outside of the
visor.   Or, they will just send a squadron patch and have that sewn to the
visor cover, along with some embroidery work.

Here's a typical example of an embroidered cover from an F-15E pilot in the
494th Tactical Fighter Squadron:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/mikee5000/DSC00970.jpg

Here is the back of his helmet, which is painted, completely against the
rules.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/mikee5000/DSC00955.jpg

This is very atypical, and in fact this helmet might just be a desktop
decoration.   Normally the helmets are just plain, flat gray.

The Navy, on the other hand, is far more liberal with their decorations,
and I think it's typical to find their helmets in a variety of colors,
emblazoned with lightening bolts, arrows, nicknames, squadron colors, and who knows
what else.

Here's a link to a site with numerous examples; the "VF" prefix indicates a
navy fighter squadron.   Note that the lone Air Force example (except for
the Thunderbirds) is plan gray.

http://www.militaryflighthelmets.net/

Cheers!