[DeTomaso] Wear particles.

dave londry davel at emspace.com
Fri Feb 8 00:13:26 EST 2013

Hey you engine analysts.
I'm installing A Kevco Racing pan right now,
  so I got to take an inventory of the contents of the pan and the filter.

I rebuilt this engine (377 Cleveland) last year and put 100 miles on the
break-in oil.
Everything was new or newly ground but the rings.
  I kept them because there was very little mileage on the previous build,
  (which I inherited along with some very special quality problems).
When I changed the break-in oil,
  I got about the volume of 2 BBs in magnetic muck on the drain-plug magnet.
It wasn't very magnetic, so I'll BS-guess and say it was less than 10%
steel/iron.
I didn't recover anything when I tore the filter apart (K&N)
  so it was probably just too well distributed for me to find.

Then I put 1200 miles on a fill of Royal Purple synthetic.
I got exactly the same result again with with the drain-plug and the filter.
 From the pan I got about a half-dozen chips
  about 0.020 x 0.020 x way thinner than I can get ahold of. Maybe 0.002
or 0.003.

This all seemed pretty OK to me.
I think the flakes were one-time sharp edges left from the machine-work.

So - am I delusional guys?
Comments please, I can take it.
dave

--
--
Dave Londry
davel at emspace.com

604 589 9183 phone/fax
604 72l 2278 cell
904 429 1937 Skype cell, Saint Augustine FL
Skype:embeddedspaces