[DeTomaso] Wrong cam with Webers....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Feb 7 20:35:43 EST 2013

Hi guys,

Here's a great video by an engine outfit in England that built a motor for
a race Pantera.   I *think* it was for the yellow factory Gr4 that was
converted to Gr5 spec, although it might have been for the red Gr3 converted to
Gr4 spec (#5855).   The latter car never really ran properly.

Anyway, the interesting thing about Webers is that they demand an unusually
wide LSA (lobe seperation angle) of 112-115 degrees to work properly.
This engine was probably fitted with a very radical narrow LSA cam engineered
for a big single-plane intake, which has completely different requirements.

They got a ton of power out of the engine, yes (I suspect it's a big-time
cheater stroker).   But, note the effect of the narrow LSA--ungodly amounts
of reversion, and a potentially lethal cloud of fuel vapors hanging over the
mouths of the carbs.  Years ago, I saw the Adler's Gr5 Pantera literally
catch on fire in the pits at the POCA Fun Rally track event, because this fuel
vapor soaked the air filters, and then it backfired on startup and set the
filters on fire.   Webers have lots of fiddly brass jets that will melt at
low temperature, and it doesn't take long for an air cleaner fire to lead to a
Weber meltdown, and molten metal that runs down into the cylinders is never
a good thing.

Anyway, check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRdwWgSGqvc

With Webers, wide LSA is your friend.   It really smoothes the idle out and
removes much of the radical nature of a powerful engine, making the car
sound quiet and docile by comparison.   But boy, will it go!