[DeTomaso] Engine Break In - Oil Pump Prime

Andy May andymay24 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:45:13 EST 2013

The distributor is unlikely to go straight in because you have to acheive
alignment of 3 things at once; the oil pump hex drive; the gear mesh on the
distributor drive; and correct "offset" of the rotor arm when meshing the
gear to get correct positioning when the distributor is pushed home.

In practice, the meshing of the gear and appropriate offset is pretty
easily figured out to get the rotor arm where you want it, leaving just the
oil pump hex drive as a problem. This is easily solved by using the oil
pump prime tool to turn the hex drive a little at a time before dropping in
the dizzy. Usually, 2 or 3 tries and you're done.

As Will has already said, turning the motor achieves the same aim in a
slightly different way, but if the motor is in the car and you are working
alone, turning the motor to get alignment can be a pain if you dont have
the firewall cover out at the time.

Andy