[DeTomaso] NPC Frustrated hackers unite with Ford fuel injection black box "Open Source"

Clark Family cclark at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 4 21:06:30 EST 2013

On 2/4/2013 4:03 PM, Jerry Knotts wrote:
> Looks like Ford is trying to leverage the tuner group that has been consistently hacking their boxes.  Black box hacking has been going for 20 years and now it looks like
> Ford will provide some help rather than trying to foil and protect its patents on control computers.
>
> http://www2.electronicproducts.com/Ford_releases_open_source_kit_that_allows_dri
> vers_to_hack_their_cars-article-fajb_ford_hack_feb2013-html.aspx
>
> Where was this when I was tuning with the EEC Tuner.  Had worked 2 years and found some of the hacked addresses were incorrect.  No wonder I wasn't seeing results from some changes.
>
> A little late for me,
> jerry knotts

They still don't want you to play with the go-fast bits. Just GPS,
radio, voice controls, etc. They have put some thought into the
distracted driver problem, and air gapping it from safety systems too.

Here is a recent talk between tech reporter Leo Laporte and a Ford
Software Evangelist (?!?) about the kit:

http://twit.tv/show/twit-live-specials/152

Enjoy,
Chris