[DeTomaso] Engine Break In - Oil Pump Prime

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:39:06 EST 2013

In every engine I have rebuilt, I have not opened the oil pump, I have not
bench primed it, I have not filled the oil filter with oil, etc., etc.

I fill the engine with oil, and I prime it with either a purpose built
primer or a socket attached to an extension.  It will suck oil and not
air.  It does not need moly grease or an accumulator.

All good ideas, but not necessary.

If Sean is getting more drag in CCW, then it is pumping oil.  If it isn't
coming out of the pushrods, then either the oil is escaping somewhere, or
maybe a passage is plugged.

Or, maybe the drill doesn't have enough torque, but if it is turning, it
is pumping.

I would install a mech oil pressure gauge near the fuel pump.  If there's
pressure, it is coming out of the oil filter.  Then I would install a
gauge at the back of the block.  If there is pressure at the back of the
block, I would probably crank it over with the starter, but with no plugs.
 And then I would try starting it with the valve covers removed (it will
make a mess).  But you want to make sure the oil is getting to the rockers.

--
Will