[DeTomaso] Vedr: NOS Block on Ebay

gudmund frøland gudmundfroiland at yahoo.no
Sun Dec 29 04:41:20 EST 2013

I have notice sometime on e-bay that there is Boss harmonic balancer
for sale. Expensive as gold? That got me to think the Crank had to be special
for 351Boss?

Den Lørdag, 28. desember 2013 22.33 skrev "jderyke at aol.com" <jderyke at aol.com>:

Uh-uh. In all aspects it's a just a 351-C. It even carries the same casting #s & symbols on the block as a 2V since Boss blocks were simply pulled from the same production line, as were the cranks. Don't pay extra for the 'Boss' label on a bare block. The differences were in the pistons, heads and cam, and maybe in the stock baffled oil pan (which was also on our non-Boss Pantera engine).
Matter of fact, the Boss 351 was the only 'Boss' block that did NOT get screw-in core plugs to positively seal and stiffen the outer cylinder walls, and it was one that certainly could have used them! The other Boss engines (302 & 429) got them from Ford. They can be added by a skilled machinist (or at home) to a Cleveland at some expense if you like, but they are not 'stock Boss-351'.
I guess I am not sufficiently schooled in the differences in blocks, if
any.  I thought that the Boss block was somehow different for the
standard 4 bolt 351C block.  ???