[DeTomaso] NOS Block on Ebay

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 16:33:02 EST 2013

Uh-uh. In all aspects it's a just a 351-C. It even carries the same casting #s & symbols on the block as a 2V since Boss blocks were simply pulled from the same production line, as were the cranks. Don't pay extra for the 'Boss' label on a bare block. The differences were in the pistons, heads and cam, and maybe in the stock baffled oil pan (which was also on our non-Boss Pantera engine).
Matter of fact, the Boss 351 was the only 'Boss' block that did NOT get screw-in core plugs to positively seal and stiffen the outer cylinder walls, and it was one that certainly could have used them! The other Boss engines (302 & 429) got them from Ford. They can be added by a skilled machinist (or at home) to a Cleveland at some expense if you like, but they are not 'stock Boss-351'.

I guess I am not sufficiently schooled in the differences in blocks, if
any.  I thought that the Boss block was somehow different for the
standard 4 bolt 351C block.  ???