[DeTomaso] Amazing Videos From SPA 2011 - Turbine Car?

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 11:32:15 EST 2013

> With the time it take a turbine to spin up, how do/did they compensate for that in a race car that needs instant acceleration?

Ray Heppenstall's solution to the turbine spool up time for the Howmett
was to simply put a wastegate between the gas-generator and the power
turbines.  "The first third of throttle pedal movement controlled fuel
supply to the combustion chambers, and thus the speed of the engine.
But once spinning at its maximum 57,500 rpm and delivering full power,
the final two-thirds throttle movement activated the wastegate, thus
controlling the amount of gas directed to the power turbine, and hence
the rear wheels."  I forget if it was Pratt or GE, but one of them did
something similar for the McDonnel/Northrop NATF prototype engine to
improve carrier suitability.  They kept the turbine spooled up but
spoiled the thrust by the use of variable rotors/stators and also opening
up the nozzle throat area.

> What sort of a transmission/power conversion system did they use?

Single speed transmission with an electric motor for reverse.

Dan Jones