[DeTomaso] Amazing Videos From SPA 2011

Sam shbailey at att.net
Fri Dec 27 08:00:40 EST 2013

You are correct that they used a 340 in the production T/A series. I thought about that also. It cornered really well to have an Elephant motor in it. It could have been an aluminum motor, there are a few around. From the video it pulled like a Hemi though and that is what reminded me of my previous car. I have not finished my A990 Cross Ram yet. When (if I do before I die) I shall again remember the fight to pull the shifts quick enough to not hit the rev limiter. The Hemi got a bad rap in beginning because most people didn’t know how to deal with setting up two carbs. The engine would also carbon up easily. We took a bone stock 1967 Hemi to the strip once and had to do several runs to get it cleaned up. Dropped almost a full second on the 1/4 mile time. Then we put in new plugs for the trophy run.  Add a strong cam, headers, 3” exhausts and a stiff rear gear and it was hell on wheels and what a sound. Nothing looks like a Hemi in the engine bay, nothing. Kind of like the early upswept Pantera exhaust look from the back.