[DeTomaso] Electric Choke, yes or no?

Janne Mäki-Petäjä eb0711 at kolumbus.fi
Sat Dec 21 14:10:21 EST 2013

You remember right. Typically the threaded tube port in a factory
electric choke equipped carb is blocked with a steel ball, but could be
opened. However, I seem to remember seeing some with the tube nut and
small filter on it.

  Electric choke converted factory orginal carbs it's plug and play. If
they removed the choke tubes they typically connceted the tube port
directly to air filter flange port with a rubber hose.

-Janne

21.12.2013 4.20, Will Kooiman kirjoitti:
> If I remember correctly, the factory chokes drew air either from the
> exhaust manifolds or from under the intake, through the choke housing, and
> then through a vacuum port - in order to suck the air.
>
> I don't know if the electric chokes can do both.  It might be one or the
> other.
>
> --
> Will
>

> On 12/20/13 3:00 PM, "Janne Mäki-Petäjä" <eb0711 at kolumbus.fi> wrote:
>
>> Although it's not often seen, it's entirely possible to use metal choke
>> tube connected to manifold heat source, with electric choke as well.
>> That'll give a heat source to the coil always when the engine is warm,
>> and choke will still go off electrically little faster when it's cold.
>>
>> Janne
>>
>> 19.12.2013 22.09, Mikael kirjoitti:
>>> A word about electric chokes, I know this is not what was asked, but
>>> that
>>> won't stop me...
>>>
>>> On my Longchamp, semi-mild daily driver, yes definitely an electric
>>> choke.
>>>
>>> But on a Pantera, especially a fast one, I wouldn't want one. I would
>>> rather
>>> rev it a bit with the throttle for the first minutes. The main problem
>>> with
>>> an electric choke (connected to proper 12V) is that if you leave the car
>>> parked for an hour and get back and start it, the choke will be fully
>>> on and
>>> take a little while to go off, and the engine doesn't need it. That
>>> means
>>> too rich mixture for a while, which washes oil off the cylinder walls.
>>> And
>>> if you have a high performance engine with narrow tuning tolerances and
>>> colder plugs, maybe even race plugs, the plugs can foul up due to this
>>> choke
>>> action. If you then do the wrong thing, look at your plugs and conclude