[DeTomaso] Electric Choke, yes or no?

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Thu Dec 19 15:09:02 EST 2013

A word about electric chokes, I know this is not what was asked, but that
won't stop me...

On my Longchamp, semi-mild daily driver, yes definitely an electric choke.

But on a Pantera, especially a fast one, I wouldn't want one. I would rather
rev it a bit with the throttle for the first minutes. The main problem with
an electric choke (connected to proper 12V) is that if you leave the car
parked for an hour and get back and start it, the choke will be fully on and
take a little while to go off, and the engine doesn't need it. That means
too rich mixture for a while, which washes oil off the cylinder walls. And
if you have a high performance engine with narrow tuning tolerances and
colder plugs, maybe even race plugs, the plugs can foul up due to this choke
action. If you then do the wrong thing, look at your plugs and conclude that
you need more lean jetting, then it really starts to get dangerous. In
short, high performance engines shouldn't have an electric choke, it should
have manual cable operated choke (difficult in a Pantera) or no choke at
all. Divorced chokes are a bit better than electric chokes, but rarely seen
these days.
(And on a totally unscientific note: The sound of the engine when almost
warm, idling just above the rpm where it would die, that sound is fantastic)

Just my $0.02

Mvh/Regards
Mikael