[DeTomaso] advice on seats

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:22:50 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM, <MikeLDrew at aol.com> wrote:

> presume).  See it here:
>

> Yes, exactly what I was talking about.
>

> or an alternator fan/pulley explosion (as you yourself experienced at
> Pocono, remember!?)

Yes, I remember.

> >I have the passenger Recaro modified as per Mr. Drew's description so I
> don't find any value in that kit.
> Quite a bit of money and it really accomplished nothing in my case.

> more clearance than a stock seat, for sure it couldn't be moved nearly as
> far to the rear with the stock engine cover in place, as it can now?

It was already back as far as it would go with a decent rake and it is
bolted to the floor with no tracks.
The driver's seat is the same.... and I'd like it to go further back.

If I redrilled holes, I might be able to shove it back another 1" and tilt
the seat forward some...
Why for should I bother? Nobody has ever complained that they didn't have
enough room in the passenger seat.

Oh, wait... the 300lb instructor I had in 1995? at TWS couldn't get in so I
removed the seat entirely and he sat on the floor.
Claimed it was quite comfortable!
:-)

Regardless, the only thing I plan to do to my seats is get them recovered.
They are getting decidedly tacky and worn since initially installed in 1985.
I like them a lot and modeled the side bolsters on the GT40 seats I made
from them.

 Kirby