[DeTomaso] Speedo noise

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 11 16:35:31 EST 2013

In a message dated 12/11/13 12 26 10, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> Like I said before, I don't think it was the cable.  I disconnected the
> speedo AT THE SPEEDO, not the transaxle.  Still had noise.
>
> One more thing I did not mention (my bad).  This IS a new cable.
>
> At any rate, the noise is gone now.  If it comes back, the speedo will
> have to come out to be looked at.
>
>>>Okay, now you're blowing my mind.

You disconnected the cable from the speedo, at the speedo.   And you still
had noise.   That's what you just said above.

That proves uncategorically, beyond a doubt, that the problem is not in the
speedometer--how can it make noise if it's not connected to anything?
Now, if the noise went away when you disconnected it, there would be at least a
remote possibility that the problem would be in the gauge.   But I would
view that as a 1% chance at best.

If a speedo cable makes noise when it's not hooked to the speedo, obviously
the problem is the cable.

If you just installed a new cable, did you take pains to ensure the routing
was friendly?   I have installed cables in the past in my own car, where
the routing was suboptimal and they made noise right away.   Although it was a
PIA, I had to just go back and rethink the routing behind the dash, and
take greater pains to give it as straight a shot as possible into the back of
the gauge.   That fixed it.