[DeTomaso] Speedo noise

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Dec 11 03:53:34 EST 2013

 Speedo cable are made with a small diameter spiral-wound cable with appropriate ends welded on. There is a low-friction plastic liner and a flexible metal sheath Cable noise is due to the wire cable dragging against the metal sheath, having worn through the low-friction liner at one of the many bends. If lubing helps, consider ordering a replacement assembly now, because yours will not last much longer unless you lube it continually. And since the liner part isn't separately available, you will need the entire assembly, not just the spiral cable. The good news is, modern replacements are far better built that the 1970-versions and will last longer, especially if you change the routing to avoid tight bends between speedo and the angle drive on the ZF.