[DeTomaso] Speedo noise

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Dec 10 15:34:28 EST 2013

In a message dated 12/10/13 12 23 54, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> My speedo is making one heck of a racket.  It is not the cable, I unhook
> the cable and it stops.  Can you spray dry lube in it?
>
> What else can you do?
>

>>>Sorry, I was too fast on the draw and my reply was sent empty.

You said you unhooked the cable and the noise stopped.   That means it's
the cable.   (Presuming you unhooked it from the transaxle end).

Even if you unhooked it from the gauge end, it's still the cable.   The
cable will turn relatively silently if it's not plugged into a speedometer, but
(especially with the later one-pod dashboard), the approach angle of the
cable to the back of the gauge is sometimes suboptimal.   It makes a sharp
little bend just at the back of the gauge, and over time, the cable wears
through the protective sheath.   You are probably seeing your speedo needle jump
and stutter in time with the noise, right?

The solution is probably a new cable, as once the sheath is compromised
there's little you can do.   As a desperate measure, you can try rotating the
cable housing 180 degrees, which won't be a particularly easy job, and that
may buy you some time because the cable will then be rubbing on a portion of
the sheath that has seen little wear until now.

The important thing is to route the cable so the approach to the back of
the gauge is as straight as possible.   While I used to use graphite powder to
lubricate cables, I have found that lock lubricant (which is graphite
suspended in liquid in an aerosol can) works much better.

Good luck!