[DeTomaso] Carb and fuel pump

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 11:55:49 EST 2013

> I speculate at 130 MPH, I'm using up all the carb, or all the fuel pump.

Asa,

I ran into a similar problem while tuning the carb on my Triumph TR8 that
turned out to be a restrictive fuel filter.  I have O2 bungs in the exhaust
just aft of the header collector and was monitoring the air-fuel ratio with
a Innovate LM1 wide band oxygen sensor.  My neighbor was driving and in 2nd
and 3rd, WOT was rich through the RPM band but I noticed 4th would
eventually
go very lean at around 110 MPH (around 5500 RPM with my 205/50/15 tires and
3.45:1 final drive ratio) and it would stop accelerating.  Hmmm, not good.
I figured there were 4 possible causes:

 1. Fuel pump capacity insufficient
 2. Carb inlet needle and seat too small
 3. Fuel filter too restrictive or clogged
 4. Sock filter in tank clogged

I wasn't sure about #1 but I doubted it was #2 since past experience had
shown the stock needle and seat sufficient to support more HP than the
little 8:1 compression 215 cube V8 was making.  I didn't have a fuel
pressure
gauge or regulator hooked up so I went looking for a better fuel filter to
test.  I found a much larger diameter clear plastic fuel filter (Purolator
F21111) at a local auto parts store.  It was a bit shorter but had a much
larger filter area than the clear glass filter the previous owner had
spliced
in line.  Since the Purolator filter has a plastic body, I moved it to the
firewall to keep it away from direct engine heat.  The fuel filter
originally
on the car was maybe an inch diameter with a glass body, a metal mesh filter
element and 3/8" inlet and outlet.  I held it up to the light and could see
through the mesh so it didn't appear clogged.

After installing the filter, I made a few passes shifting out of 4th at
5500 RPM and it kept on pulling past 120 MPH in 5th with no signs of going
lean.  Apparently, the other filter was restricting the pump flow, causing
the bowls to drain.  With full bowls, I could run it through third before
they got too low to keep the mixture stable.

Before ditching the carb, I'd go looking for possible fuel or air
restrictions
(something like a clogged air filter should go rich).  Welding in an O2 bung
and borrowing a wide band O2 sensor will make the diagnostics much easier.
Also, some Holley carbs have a sintered bronze filter in the inlet

> The LIST 8414 carb I have on my Pantera, was originally released as a Ford
> OEM carb for 351's and 429's.

A vacuum gauge connected to a constant manifold vacuum source will tell you
if the airflow of the carb is too restrictive.  At the end of a high speed
WOT run, if reads more than an 1.0" to 1.5", the carb is restrictive.  1.0"
is good for a high performance street application and 0.7" for more race
oriented engines.

I'm not familiar with that particular carb but it possible that the carb is
emissions calibrated and is simply leaning out.  If it's a 4160, you'll want
to convert it to replaceable jets on the secondary side and see if richening
the mixture fixes the problem.

Dan Jones