[DeTomaso] Cleveland Fuel Pumps

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Dec 8 10:18:19 EST 2013

Dear Forum,

                 I am building an engine and decided that it was about time
to order a fuel pump.   The HP estimate is more than a typical stock type
pump can manage.  On the previous engine build a few years ago, I needed a
hipo fuel pump in 2010.  There were at three different manufactures selling
them: Holley, Summit and somebody else.  So, this weekend, my  web searches
reveal that Summit has none except the old plain vanilla stock Carter
replacement.   I called them with the actual part number from 2010.  He
reviewed the records and told me that they no longer offered that pump and
that since 2010 there were three or four replacements for.  None of them are
available now.  He recommended calling their Tech Line on Monday for other
options.

                I checked Jeg's.  Same deal.  Only plain vanilla pumps are
offered for the Cleveland.

                 My Google search shows that the only mechanical pump for a
Cleveland engine is from Robb Mc Performance.  They offer two quality units.
One supports 1100 hp and is $300!   The other for lesser racers supports 550
hp and is only $200.

               Unless there is an overlooked source or stock of unwanted and
unsold hipo Cleveland fuel pumps out there, I will shortly be ordering a
very serious fuel pump.

               By the way Jack's newsletter mentioned fuel pumps and that
the stock units can't be rebuilt.  The hipo units can be re-built, but I
need a whole new unit for the new engine.   This is a predictable and
depressing development for the aging and fading Cleveland.  The number of
them is now so low that the economics for making parts for them is not
favorable.

                                  Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles