[DeTomaso] Original Carpeting (was Original, low-milage red Pantera L re-sale?)

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 18:55:06 EST 2013

FWIW, there was a cigarette burn in one piece of OEM carpeting when we bought our car in '80 (then 7+ yrs old). So I went to a vendor and together we pulled that piece of carpeting out of a wrecked car of the same year. Installed in our '72L, the shade of the replacement was different. So I suspect the shade of gray of even NOS carpeting will vary depending on whether the car it came from and the car its intended for has tinted windows, the area of the country (more or less sunshine) and time spent in a garage. Since it didn't match well when our car was much newer, it may be unreasonable to expect to perfectly match a 42-yr-old color right out of the box. BTW, after 30 more years, I cannot now tell the replaced piece from the delivered-on-the-car carpeting. As long as the weave is the same, it will eventually all blend in. And of course, its intended purpose is to sound- and heat-insulate.