[DeTomaso] NPC - POCA IT

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 30 09:55:27 EDT 2013

POCA originally made a request for bids way back before the present web
site was put in place.  The cost at that time was approximately
$10,000.  Generally speaking anytime I've heard bids for "others" to
construct web pages, it's about a thousand dollars per page and any
extra stuff like scripts and databases and online payments (like for
memberships) costs even more.  Today's prices might be even higher.

Get members to run it.
So much easier said than done.  I'm probably one of the youngest members
and moderately web savvy, but I don't have time to take care of the POCA
web site all by myself.  It took me many more hours than I had planned
just to transfer the email forum over several months ago.  It takes a
lot of time and effort to keep things up to the "high standards" that
keep people from "complaining."  Sadly, the overwhelming majority of
owners are older than the kids who do web sites in their sleep and own
newer cars and give their time to those local car clubs that have great
web sites.

Why do we have two forums?
That was easy.  When the new web site was put in place, people were
encouraged to use the new online forum, especially as many folks had
requested it and said the email forum was outdated.  Instead of
"forcing" people to use it, since many liked the email forum, we kept
both.  Apparently, the email forum won out despite the best efforts of a
handful of folks (who I respect greatly) to try and help others use it.
If the online forum were the better option for everyone, then I think
everyone would be there.  Nothing is keeping you subscribed to this
email forum, use the online one instead.

The POCA site needs to be updated.
Sure, it's a few years old now so naturally it needs to be replaced,
like your latest cell phone.  That's why the present board of directors
has engaged new resources who are presently doing research.  I can't
tell you what their up to... I'm not part of that effort but I -have-
made recommendations, like making it easier to pay online and get the
access thing cleared up faster.  But there are still those older members
who like to pay by sending a check, so you have to figure out how to get
them taken care of too.

If anyone out there thinks they can do a better job, has the time and
would -like- to help, email the board of directors.

Asa

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA