[DeTomaso] Screen above front of engine

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 29 11:59:12 EDT 2013

I have an intake that is taller than stock but my K&N filter still fits thanks to using a dropped base. You can buy bases with different levels of drop. Remember that the limit is caused by the lid of the air cleaner and the top of the carb. If you have a two inch filter and a base with a two inch drop, the lid would sit hard on the carb mouth and the engine wouldn't run. You need at least a half or three quarters of an inch for airflow but of course more is always better.

My distributor just touches the underside of the screen. It would wear through the plug wire boot and cause a short and subsequent engine miss. I fixed it easily by gluing a big piece of bike innertube to the underside of the screen where it touched, and fitting a new plug wire boot.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone