[DeTomaso] selling a car on the internet question

LaurieFerrari at aol.com LaurieFerrari at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 15:28:27 EDT 2013

The posts on this topic are interesting and helpful.  I  recently had a '96
Eldorado for sale on Craigslist and got a phone text  message (not a direct
call) from a Texas number. The person wanted the car  and my pay pal info.
Didn't negotiate at all which seemed odd.   Said they were sending their
shipper to pick it up.  I said I didn't have  a pay pal acct. and they told me
how easy it was to sign up and sent  me a link.  I was skeptical as I've
never done this before and asked a  friend who is a car dealer.  He said it
was definitely a scam.   I'm curious what type scam this could have been?
>From what I'm reading, I  suppose if I'd deliver the car before receiving
payment, that'd be the  problem?  Can there be any problem with pay pal or one
canceling a  payment?
Laur.

Wait!  What's the date today?  No, it's not April Fools  Day!  Ok the
answer is "NO!"  Do NOT send the pink slip with only 50%  of the cash received!
He owns the car, for half price at that  point.

1. He send wire you all the money., Then you send him  the pink slip. Then
his carrier picks up the car.
You  might provide a signed bill of sale and photocopy of the signed pink
slip with  change of ownership info filled out to give him piece of mindwhen
he sends the  funds, but don't release the pink until all funds are received
and verified  good.
2. He can hire an agent or friend to hand deliver the cashier's check  in
exchange for the pink slip, so you get your cash and he gets the title at the
 same time.

3. Use an escrow service. He pays for the fees since it's for  his
protection.

Never release the title until you have "good" funds  - verified cashiers
check, wire transfer, cash,  etc.

Cheers!
Garth