[DeTomaso] NPC - Selling a car on the Internet - question

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Aug 23 09:59:57 EDT 2013

The difficulty is that scams still happen even today.

Yes, you have some shops that are always on the up-and-up and are
legitimately doing a great job for their customers.  BUT, there are
other shops that aren't so upstanding.

I remember a 60 minutes article years ago that exposed a bunch of shops
that would recommend repairs that were unnecessary or had "just" been
done at the last shop they were at.

I worked for a place called 60 Minute Tune in western Washington back in
the late 80's, and they told us to "recommend" the following services to
-any- customer, because "as a mechanic, you know each of those items
requires period service."  A generally true statement, but when you're
staring at that item and it's obvious it's been replaced recently, or
you actually tell the customer it should all replaced and they come
unglued on the poor mechanic because the owner "just" replaced that item
themselves and how dare this "experienced" mechanic tell him it needs to
be replaced.

In my case, I never told anyone they needed things repaired or replaced
that didn't need to be.  And when I did find something, it was never a
"fix it and ask forgiveness later" kind of thing.  It was always "take
the customer into the shop and -show- them."  Let them make the decision.

It's no wonder customers are wary even today.  I've even had other
friends (women) tell me stories about how they are treated quite
differently, like they don't know anything about cars (when in fact they
do).  The industry still needs a bit of clean up.

Asa

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA
******************************
http://www.racingagainstautism.com
http://www.teampanteraracing.com
http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism

On 8/23/2013 5:40 AM, Sean Korb wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I sold a Lotus 11 LeMans wide body and a Lambo 400 gt in 1989 (I WAS DUMB
>> AND STUPID) and took a cashiers check. Next day the Lambo went to
>> California and the 11 to England and twenty two days later the cashiers
>> check cleared. The mental pain was too much, even staying after the cash
>> appeared in my account. NEVER AGAIN.
>>
>> IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS PAY CASH. This saying was created for times
>> like this.
>> Cash was invented for the reason of fair trade and to remove trust issues.
>> Cash cancels trust. Trust is the tool used in the absence of cash.
>>
>> I had a lady (not) two weeks ago cancel her check to me because she did
>> not approve me off replacing the massively leaking rear fuel line on her
>> SL600 while we did other work. Fifty or so $'s for fuel leak with other
>> repairs were about $400. So she got her car fixed for free till I sue her.
>> If I would have taken cash only, I would not be writing about this now.
>> Worst problem is that I  suspected she would do something stupid, but the
>> 73 year old black lady minister said for me not to worry and I believed
>> her. Shame on me. But I thought after about 200,000. customers that I could
>> read the future. NOT!
>>
>> I bought my three best (Mangusta-Espada-E430) cars off of eBay and my race
>> car (Formula 6000) off of Hemmings.
>> All were bought sight unseen and yes I did my due diligence.
>> There were absolutely no problems and all were paid on diff levels.
>> But when all cars left the owners they were cashed in hand.
>>
>> Cash must only be in your hand or the bank the moment before the car
>> leaves!
>> Basically the car owner must always have the upper hand filed with cash.
>> And the trust issue must only belong to the buyer.
>>
>> Cash is nice but never sell something you love.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Jeff Cobb
>>
>> On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:51 PM, Garth Rodericks <garth_rodericks at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Wait!  What's the date today?  No, it's not April Fools Day!  Ok the
>> answer is "NO!"  Do NOT send the pink slip with only 50% of the cash
>> received!  He owns the car, for half price at that point.
>>> 1. He send wire you all the money., Then you send him the pink slip.
>> Then his carrier picks up the car.
>>>     You might provide a signed bill of sale and photocopy of the signed
>> pink slip with change of ownership info filled out to give him piece of
>> mindwhen he sends the funds, but don't release the pink until all funds are
>> received and verified good.
>>> 2. He can hire an agent or friend to hand deliver the cashier's check in
>> exchange for the pink slip, so you get your cash and he gets the title at
>> the same time.
>>> 3. Use an escrow service. He pays for the fees since it's for his
>> protection.
>>>
>>> Never release the title until you have "good" funds - verified cashiers

>>> 3) he wires me remaining 50% of the money, then