[DeTomaso] NPC - Selling a car on the Internet - question

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Fri Aug 23 07:07:27 EDT 2013

Please listen carefully.
Cashiers and bank checks can have stop payments put upon them. I have done it.
I have never heard of a stop payment put against cash.

I sold a Lotus 11 LeMans wide body and a Lambo 400 gt in 1989 (I WAS DUMB AND STUPID) and took a cashiers check. Next day the Lambo went to California and the 11 to England and twenty two days later the cashiers check cleared. The mental pain was too much, even staying after the cash appeared in my account. NEVER AGAIN.

IN GOD WE TRUST, ALL OTHERS PAY CASH. This saying was created for times like this.
Cash was invented for the reason of fair trade and to remove trust issues.
Cash cancels trust. Trust is the tool used in the absence of cash.

I had a lady (not) two weeks ago cancel her check to me because she did not approve me off replacing the massively leaking rear fuel line on her SL600 while we did other work. Fifty or so $'s for fuel leak with other repairs were about $400. So she got her car fixed for free till I sue her. If I would have taken cash only, I would not be writing about this now. Worst problem is that I  suspected she would do something stupid, but the 73 year old black lady minister said for me not to worry and I believed her. Shame on me. But I thought after about 200,000. customers that I could read the future. NOT!

I bought my three best (Mangusta-Espada-E430) cars off of eBay and my race car (Formula 6000) off of Hemmings.
All were bought sight unseen and yes I did my due diligence.
There were absolutely no problems and all were paid on diff levels.
But when all cars left the owners they were cashed in hand.

Cash must only be in your hand or the bank the moment before the car leaves!
Basically the car owner must always have the upper hand filed with cash.
And the trust issue must only belong to the buyer.

Cash is nice but never sell something you love.

Good luck,
Jeff Cobb