[DeTomaso] NPC - Selling a car on the Internet - question

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 20:17:46 EDT 2013

Appreciate any advice you may have, as I haven't done this before.  Here is the situation.  I listed a car on craigslist, and it was found by someone in Florida. We negotiated a price, then he ordered an independent inspector to come by, and wired me a $500 deposit. He has now reviewed the inspectors report, and is happy with it, and wants to proceed with the transaction.  He is suggesting that now:

1) he wires me 50% of the money, then
2) i mail him the pink slip, then
3) he wires me remaining 50% of the money, then
4) he schedules a transportation service to get the car.

Does that sound reasonable? What are the risks?  Is there a "normal" way to do this?  I know we could use an escrow service, but that can be a mess too.

appreciate any insights from those that may have crossed this bridge before...

thanks,
brent