[DeTomaso] NPC, musclecar lifting front wheels

bill gaino gaino at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 22 11:30:58 EDT 2013

I had a 77 Nova with 409 ci power glide trans, 10 inch slicks. The car would go 100 mph at 6.80 in the 1/8 mile . It would pull the front left tire. I extended the roll cage through the firewall and attached to the subframe in front of the wheels, then it pulled both wheels about 6 inches. We had a wheelie contest and one of the contestants changed his pinion angle by adjusting his 4 link, and when he did his car went 6 feet straight up, and he won the contest. I'm not sure if he went up or down with his differencal but it made a huge difference. 90/ 10 shocks means they compress easy in the rear, and extend easy up front so you get a good weight transfer.  Then you see really fast cars with low et that don't lift. It has a lot to do with pinion angle. Bill